Now that the Memorial Day has passed it’s beginning to feel like summer has arrived.
Many picnic tables were filled with grilled goods and all the fixings and coolers filled with beverage choices for all. We wanted to collaborate with the culinary team at Hennepin Technical College once again to pass along a drink that is fresh and easy but adds some spice to a glass of Watermelon Agua Freca – or Watermelon Fresh Water.
Chef Tracy Figueroa once again brings the flavor profiles she acquired being raised in Puerto Rico to the kitchen. (Check out her recipe for Coquito she shared here.)
“This Watermelon Agua Fresca is a drink served throughout Mexico. It can be made with several different fruits, but my preference is watermelon. This recipe is delicious and refreshing and will make about four drinks. Enjoyed by everyone I’ve ever served it to, upgrade it from a mocktail to a cocktail by adding a white rum or tequila.”
Tracy provided a video demonstration of her recipe here.
- 2 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white sugar, or to taste
- 2 limes
- 4 cups ice, or as needed
- Chamoy, Garnish
- Tajin, Garnish
- In a blender, add the juice of one lime, watermelon and water. Puree until smooth. Add sugar to taste and pulse to combine.
- Add some Chamoy to a plate and some Tajin on another plate. You will use this to garnish your glasses. Place the rim of your glass on the plate with Chamoy, then over the plate with Tajin and garnish the rim with it as well.
- Cut your lime into slices or wedges.
- Add some ice to your glass and fill with the watermelon mixture and garnish with a slice of lime/wedge of lime. Stir the Watermelon Agua Fresca before serving.
This Watermelon Agua Fresca is a true masterpiece that combines the natural sweetness of watermelon with the tangy and spicy flavors of Chamoy and Tajin. This unique blend of ingredients elevates a classic beverage, transforming it into a refreshing and visually stunning drink that will impress your taste buds and your guests alike. Give it a try and savor the explosion of flavors in every sip.
If you have any comments or questions, please drop a line here or on our social channels. #WeLoveMNW