The Snuggle is Real! Cures for Cabin Fever this Winter
It’s no secret that Minnesota is known for its winters that can be unpredictable and long, but don’t let that get you down! Whether you’re feeling cooped up or the kids are driving you wild, we’ve gathered some of the best remedies for your “cabin fever!”
Condition: Stir Crazy
The days are short, dark and cold and you're starting to feel like you never see the light of day anymore. Get outside and embrace the beautiful snowy winter wonderland!
1. Break free of the stir crazies and glide along the ice-skating trail at the Central Park Ice Loop, surrounded by shimmering lights and scenic views of the expansive park!
2. Choose your own adventure at the Elm Creek Park Reserve Winter Recreation Area whether you're craving something thrilling like tubing or testing out some tricks at the Terrain Park or simply enjoying a relaxing night cross-country skiing on the beautifully lit trails or speeding down the hill with skis or a snowboard.
3. Try something new and embark on an ice fishing expedition at the Ice Fishing Extravaganza at Fish Lake Regional Park on Jan. 25. Learn about ice fishing safety, practice techniques, learn how to bait a hook, and test out equipment. After you've mastered some new ice fishing skills, warm up by a fire, and have fun kicksledding.
4. Grab your friends and family and enjoy a variety of events at Eastman Nature Center or Mississippi Gateway Regional Park. From a Mulled Wine Hike to a Winter Beach Party and everything in between, you'll find plenty of fun for any group!
Condition: Kid Kooky-itis
Kids cooped up inside and driving you nuts?! We've got plenty of fun indoor activities to blow off some steam!
1. For a truly wacky adventure, try WhirlyBall, a unique hybrid sport that combines basketball, hockey, lacrosse and bumper cars. Continue the fun with the largest laser tag course in the state (a 4,000-square foot urban adventure) or do some team building or family bonding in the escape room. Refuel at WhirlyBall's full bar and restaurant.
2. Who said you can't visit the jungle in Minneapolis Northwest?! Take your little ones on a zany indoor adventure and release some pent up energy as they discover the jungle that is the Maple Maze at the Maple Grove Community Center. The maze offers fun for kids 12 and under. Kids can scale the rock climbing wall, hop on the pogo stick, and explore the tree house, while the toddlers crawl into the lions mouth or climb onto the hippo or alligator and more.
3. Playgrounds and winter may sound like a contradiction, but Playground Plaza offers a recreational oasis 365 days a year! The climate-controlled indoor play area features playground equipment for all ages and an open play space with synthetic turf surfacing for sports. The play structure designated for children ages 5 and above features a variety of slides, climbers, play panels, platform heights and more.
4. Kids bouncing off the walls?! Bring the little "American Ninja Warriors" in training to the largest ninja warrior gym in Minnesota — Ninjas United! Years of experience, as well as great obstacles, coaches, and classes make this location second to none. Classes come in different formats, and most offer plenty of free time during each session.
5. Rain, snow or shine, you can splash around and pretend you're in Venice at Venetian Water Park at the Holiday Inn & Suites Maple Grove! The 25,000-square-foot waterpark offers families a one-stop, stress-free retreat with the assurance that fun and quality time even when it's a chilly snowglobe outside!
Condition: Travel Fever
Can't afford a luxurious globe-trotting trip to experience world flavors? No worries! You can travel the world with your taste buds with a diverse selection of restaurants in Minneapolis Northwest.
1. Dig in to colorful and original dishes that will transport you across the world at Lemon Grass Thai. The menu at Lemon Grass Thai is as varied as Chef Ann’s travels around the globe. In addition to the many Thai favorites on the menu, you can enjoy watching the magic happen at the sushi bar, as chefs expertly craft beautiful, fresh sushi rolls. Traditional favorites like the Unagi Roll, California Roll and Spicy Salmon Roll are sure to satisfy, but if you want to dine outside the box, opt for one of the many specialty rolls.
2. Take a trip to France and Vietnam in one stop at Mi-Sant Banh Mi! Stop in for breakfast and enjoy a wide range of freshly made croissants, Vietnamese coffee drinks and bubble teas. Or stop in for lunch or dinner and enjoy a banh-mi sandwich or noodle bowl with some of their delectable spring rolls or kimchi fries! In a hurry? They also have a drive through!
3. Experience the unforgettable and vibrant flavors of Liberia at Mama Ti’s African Kitchen. If you haven't tried African comfort food, Mama Ti's is the place to start with family staples gathered over six generations like Jollof Rice, a traditional rice and tomato dish bursting with vivid spices and colorful vegetables, and their one-of-a-kind healthy and refreshing Ginger Beer.
4. Get your Cajun fix far from the bayou at Crazy Cajun. This drool-worthy Louisana-style restaurant is a favorite among some Minnesota Vikings, and it’s for good reason! Devour one of their famous seafood boils, try some fried frog legs, homemade gumbo and more.
6. Relax and chill out to the good vibes at Irie Vybz Jamaican Restaurant. Try authentic Jamaican cuisine like Jerk Chicken, Drunken Jerk Shrimp, Curry Goat, Oxtail or the Caribbean Jerk Chicken Wraps. And if you've got someone in your group who's not so adventurous with their taste buds, they've got plenty of American options like BBQ ribs and burgers.
Condition: Winter Doldrums
Alright, even the most creative and interesting people can feel slightly less inspired in the dark days of winter. But don't fear! There's plenty of entertaining fun to enjoy all winter long with the rich theater scene in Minneapolis.
1. Follow the story of Ziggy, a bird who learns to navigate his fears of the world around him with the help of his friends in Three Little Birds, a world premiere at Children's Theatre Company. You won't want to miss this timeless tale of peace and love that uses classic Reggae music—including songs by the great Bob Marley—to jam Jamaican style!
2. Get immersed in the drama of Skeleton Crew at Yellow Tree Theatre. The show, running Jan. 31- March 1, takes place at the beginning of Great Recession, the employees of an auto stamping plant are faced with sudden hardship when the plant suddenly closes. This powerful story follows the lives of the employees as they deal with family, ethics, and the American Dream.
3. Dive into the literary world with Flora & Ulysses, a play based on the 2014 Newbery Medal winner by best-selling author Kate DiCamillo, at Lyric Arts Main Street Stage. This laugh-out-loud play is bursting with heart and filled with eccentric and endearing characters sure to delight the entire family.
4. Choose from Jesus Christ Superstar or My Fair Lady, plus a slew of other exciting performances and events at the Orpheum Theatre.
Condition: Couch Potato-itis
Winter may be the season of hibernation, leading to a general lack of excitement, but don't get sucked into a bingeing black hole of Netflix on the couch. We've got plenty of outside-the-box adventures and new things to explore to break out of a wintry rut!
1. Enjoy a whimsical round of mini golf at Can Can Wonderland! Can Can Wonderland offers a year-round carnival atmosphere for children and adults alike. This whimsical venue features a brightly colored 18-hole mini golf course unlike any other and a rousing Boardwalk Arcade boasting 20 of your favorite vintage arcade games and dozens upon dozens of unique pinball machines.
2. Reach new heights at Minneapolis Bouldering Project. Get your climbing fix at this unique gym, which features 20,108-square feet of climbing terrain and offers complimentary introductory bouldering lessons. At this state-of-the-art facility, there are no ropes or harnesses—only a 16-inch foam floor to cushion the fall.
3. Have a tea party at The Mad Hatter Restaurant & Tea House. Follow Alice down the rabbit hole on a whimsical and delightful culinary journey at The Mad Hatter Restaurant & Tea House! Located in Anoka's historic Woodbury House, built in 1857 and beautifully situated on the Rum River, The Mad Hatter offers a truly unique dining experience with its fabulous high tea services, along with a scrumptious brunch menu.
4. Meet a woolly mammoth at the Bell Museum of Natural History! Explore the Bell Museum of Natural History, a place for families and friends to get close to the wild with the hands-on Touch and See Lab and wildlife dioramas. Discover the natural world through exhibits, programs, and more. Travel back in time and meet a Woolly Mammoth and view the whole world in a new way at its planetarium.
Looking for more cures to your wintry ailments? Discover 12 Can't-Miss Winter Events in the Twin Cities and Best Ways to Capitalize on the Cold. Share your winter fun with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #WeLoveMNW!
About the Author
- Natalie Conrad
Blogs By Category
Mama Ti's African Kitchen specializes in Liberian cuisine. Our African comfort food is sure to satisfy any appetite along with our…
The Elm Creek Winter Recreation Area is located within Elm Creek Park Reserve, right outside the beautiful Elm Creek Chalet.…
Can Can Wonderland in St. Paul offers a year-round carnival atmosphere for kids and adults alike. It celebrates artists of the Twin…
Yellow Tree Theatre is a professional theatre company located in Osseo that produces original and classic plays and musicals, as…
Lyric Arts Main Street Stage, located in the heart of historic downtown Anoka, offers a full season of live theater, including…
Follow Alice down the rabbit hole on a whimsical and delightful culinary journey at The Mad Hatter Restaurant & Tea House! Located…
Lemon Grass Thai Cuisine in Brooklyn Park offers more by keeping things simple and local. Head Chef and Owner Ann Ahmed has fused…
Part of Elm Creek Park Reserve, Eastman Nature Center is nestled in the sugar maple floodplain forest of Rush Creek. Newly…