25 Things to Do with Families In and Around Minneapolis Northwest
Is your family looking for new and fun things to do in Minneapolis Northwest and the Twin Cities Metro area? We’ve put a list together just for you! From zoos and museums to nature and painting, the Minneapolis Northwest area has something for everyone in your family to enjoy. Discover our favorite 25 things to do with families in and around the area!
1) Topgolf, the new golf entertainment facility in Brooklyn Center, features climate-controlled hitting bays for you and your family to relax and have fun in. And no one needs to be a golfing pro. At Topgolf, choose from a selection of games that suit everyone’s abilities.
2) Leave any weather worries behind when you splash around in the Venetian Waterpark in the Holiday Inn & Suites Maple Grove. Enjoy the Italian-themed scenery while your kiddos cover every inch of the 25,000-square foot space.
3) Want to try something daring in a safe environment? Check out iFLY Indoor Skydiving to experience the excitement of sky diving through a state-of-the-art wind tunnel that recreates the sensation and experience. iFLY welcomes kids ages three and up.
4) Spend the day together at the greatest mall in the country, Mall of America. Partake in Toddler Tuesdays where kid’s receive discounts on select rides within Nickelodeon Universe and meals at participating restaurants throughout the mall.
5) For the ultimate summer festival, head to Chalkfest at Arbor Lakes, a two-day street art festival that inspires like no other. Through June 8 and 9, watch as 50 professional street artists create amazing works of art right on Main Street in Maple Grove, including astonishing 3D creations that make picture-perfect family photo opportunities.
6) Looking for a wholesome, doo-woppin’ good time? Hop in the car and park for a delicious throwback meal at Wagner’s Drive-In in Brooklyn Park, serving up classic America food, amazing burgers, sandwiches, crinkle fries and ice cream cones as big as your head. Roll down your window and order from the car or sit outside at the picnic tables on warm, sunny days.
7) Perfect for kids and adults, at Color Me Mine your family can have fun painting ceramics and creating lasting memories. Everyone gets to pick their own ceramic, such as a mug, plate, vase or figurine, and use their creativity to paint a masterpiece.
8) Grab your lawn chairs or a blanket and find an outdoor concert or movie to enjoy during the summer. Town Green bandshell in Maple Grove hosts Sounds of Summer, featuring cover bands and local musicians. Special kids’ acts include the Teddy Bear Band and The Splatter Sisters.
9) Bowling is a classic family activity, and Bowlero Brooklyn Park not only has 48 lanes of bowling fun, including Cosmic bowling, but there’s also a giant game room and laser tag arena!
10) Celebrate America’s pastime together at a Minnesota Twins baseball game at Target Field. Get there early with your glove for a shot at catching practice homerun balls. Cheer on your favorite contestant in the mascot race and get a photo with TC Bear. Your family might even end up on the videoboard!
11) Spend the night competing against each other at WhirlyBall, an extremely fun “sport” that combines basketball, hockey, lacrosse and bumper cars. WhirlyBall also features the largest laser tag arena in the state, along with a fun escape room!
12) Get a glimpse of what life was like on a 1900’s farm by visiting Eidem Homestead in Brooklyn Park. Here you can tour a beautifully restored Victorian house, visit the barn and farm animals, and enjoy seasonal events throughout the year.
13) Spend a day cooling down and picnicking at Bunker Beach Water Park. This attraction is the epitome of summer with its 25,000-square-foot wave pool (largest in the state!), numerous waterslides of varying sizes, an adventure pool with zero depth entry for little ones, sand volleyball courts and other interactive play areas.
14) The family that rides together, smiles together, and there are rides for everyone at Valleyfair! Let your daredevils loose on thrilling rides like Wild Thing and Steel Venom, or sit back and relax on the nostalgic carousel and swings.
15) Learn about nature together at Eastman Nature Center, located in Elm Creek Park Reserve. Throughout the year, this top-notch nature education facility provides activities and classes the entire family can enjoy, such as a firefly festival, butterfly catching and its annual Big Woods Halloween celebration.
16) Families also have a blast discovering and exploring all types of wildlife at the Minnesota Zoo and Como Park Zoo & Conservatory. Between these two impressive attractions, you and your family can see and learn about thousands of animals and plants and engage in onsite animal feedings.
17) Whether it’s spring or fall, Brooklyn Park’s festivals give your family a day filled with fun. Cuddle up to baby bunnies, goats and chicks at the Twin Cities Spring Babies Festival in April; then tackle Minnesota’s largest corn maze at Twin Cities Harvest Festival and Maze in September and October.
18) Show your family a view of Minneapolis from a different angle. Atop the Foshay Tower in Downtown Minneapolis is an observation deck where your family can get a 360 view of the city. There’s even a museum up there so you can learn about this history of the building.
19) Trying to teach your kids how to play golf? Try the Eagle Lake Youth Golf Center. It’s fun for beginning golfers with its classes and instructions for those new to the game.
20) There's never a shortage of things to do at the Science Museum of Minnesota. View dinosaur fossils, ancient artifacts, science experiments, an Egyptian mummy, and many more things. They also have a nine-story high IMAX Omnitheater showing impressive movies.
21) The recently renovated Brooklyn Park Library includes a dynamic play environment for kids that fosters learning and cooperation. It was designed by the Minnesota Children’s Museum!
22) The St. Paul Saints baseball team has provided family entertainment to the Twin Cities since 1993. Known for their outlandish promotions, the Saints are the only team in baseball with a live pig as its mascot. Come see Mudonna the mascot and enjoy the riotous antics between innings.
23) Walk across the Mississippi River at Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park (becoming Mississippi Gateway Regional Park). This 160-acre park gives families many opportunities to see the nation’s greatest river up close. Look for signs of the park’s abundant wildlife—mink, beaver, hawks, osprey, deer, turtles and river otters.
24) Looking for an indoor playground for kids 12 and under? Try the Maple Maze at the Maple Grove Community Center. Crawl through tubes, go down slides, climb a rock wall and much more.
25) Take the entire family to a play! There are many places to catch family friendly shows, including Children's Theatre Company, Lyric Arts Main Street Stage and Stages Theatre Company. Visit our Theater That Thrills page for a full list of theaters!
BONUS: Get rolled ice cream at Wonders Ice Cream in Maple Grove! Both kids and adults look on in wonder as the workers freeze, scrape and roll each order right before your eyes. The process is fascinating, and the result is delicious!
To enjoy all that Minneapolis Northwest has to offer, stay in one of our convenient area hotels. Each hotel features free parking and amenities to keep your family comfortable.
Looking for a fun activity based on your child’s age? Click From Tots to Teens: Minneapolis Northwest’s Best Activities for Kids by Age Group. And if all the fun works up your family’s appetite, browse Minneapolis Northwest’s Top Dining Discoveries to find the perfect fit for your craving.
About the Author
- Minneapolis Northwest CVB
Blogs By Category
A stunning new musical about human resilience and the power of choice
Enjoy nostalgia and great burgers at Wagner's Drive-In in Brooklyn Park. For more than 35 years Wagner's has made its food from…
Eidem Homestead is a ten-acre living history farm that was restored to the period 1890 – 1910. Homesteaded more than a century…
Founded in 2017, Wonders Ice Cream introduces rolled ice cream to the Twin Cities. Wonders offers 20 amazing flavors and a large…
The Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove is home to Venetian Waterpark – Minneapolis Northwest's premier waterpark. Rain, snow…
Color Me Mine is a fun, fresh idea that appeals to everyone. Whether you want to create your own gifts, are looking for a unique…
Bowlero Brooklyn Park is a premier gaming and event center in Minneapolis Northwest with plenty of fun for families, friends and…
Elm Creek Park Reserve is the largest park within the Three Rivers Park District with 4,900 acres of beautiful scenery and almost…
Situated on the site of two old farmsteads within Eagle Lake Regional Park, this youth-oriented golf course is the perfect place…
Brooklyn Park Library opened in June, 2016, and features innovative concepts to engage all ages. With a dynamic play area designed…